Saturday, December 5, 2009

Science and faith

Yep, no doubt about it. Nobody else in the world sings exactly like Neil Young. Oddly enough? In a recent Galloping Poll, a whopping 98 percent responded, "Yes, nobody in the world sounds like Neil Young, thank you Lord, let's keep it that way? After all, Neil will die eventually."

I think that's a bit harsh, but you know the public. You do, but I sure don't. Because I'm actually dumbfounded to learn that some of my fellow Americans never heard of Phineas Gage. No kidding?

And here's another thing I just found out. The existence of God is a controversial topic? I'm getting suspicious that I'm the target of some well organized practical joke, and next thing someone will seek to convince me that car racing is a popular sport.

But I got a phone call from a prominent Atheist last evening. He's half of that comedy magic act, Penn & Teller. I'm not sure which one, but I think it was the one who talks. He was incensed with my commentary on militant Atheism, and by that I don't mean to imply he smelled like Sandalwood. No, he was angry.

Didn't hold up my end in the phone call; I'll admit that. I mostly kept asking him what Atheists say when somebody sneezes. At times I felt like the guy who brought a knife to the OK Corral.

His main point was that Atheists have zero probs with people believing in a Creator, or Leprechauns, unicorns, alchemy, palmistry, phrenology or ESP. According to him, the disgusting thing about believers, is the insistence there is an objective moral truth, impervious to public opinion.

He claims this objective moral truth myth has been used to limit people's personal choices over millenia, and so control the weak minded. Mr. Penn or Mr. Teller (whichever of them it was) rattled off a quite depressing litany of evils done in the name of God.

Guy has amazing lung power, I'll give him that. When he finally took a breath, I asked for his help with my ignorance of scripture.

Where exactly did the Lamb of God instruct followers to burn Giordano Bruno at the stake, do the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Salem witch trials? Cause I missed that part.

Boy, did he get angry, whichever of them it was! He unleashed a tirade of profanity I can't repeat here, since I can't afford the FCC fines. Then he hung up on me.

Never did find out what Atheists say when somebody sneezes, but I suspect it's "Nobody bless you" or something like that.

Hey, know what's funny? When Mr. Penn or Mr. Teller (whichever of them it is that talks) gets really really angry? His voice gets all high pitched and nasal. Sounds a lot like Neil Young actually.

No comments: